As I type this entry, I am watching the State of the Nation Address via ANC. It’s been my habit the past few years since she became President of our country. Last year, I wrote about my Mother’s Hope for the country. That’s because the President said that she always thinks of the poor and her fellow Filipinos in her State of the Nation Address (SONA 2008) . She kept saying ““I careÃ¢â‚¬Â¦”
She says “I did not become president to be popular” but I can’t help thinking all the statistics and progress report she is spewing are all embellishments or the creative work of fiction from her speech writers.
1. The state of our nation is a strong economy.
2. The country weathered a succession of global crises in fuel, in food, then in finance.
3. Our economic plan centers on putting people first.
4. In the last four years tourism almost doubled to a $5B industry
5. The BPO remains resilient. With earnings of $6B and employment of 600k, the BPO phenomenon speaks eloquently of competitiveness
6. Cash handouts give the most immediate relief and produce the widest stimulating effect.
7. Our average inflation is the lowest since 1966. Last June it dropped to 1.5%. Paano? Proper policies, lowered interest rates.